Some people love smut; some just write it whenever they feel necessary; some avoid it like it’s the plague. Everyone has a completely different opinion on it. And you know what? That’s completely okay. As long as you’re in a comfortable environment that supports your decision. There seem to be a lot of guides on how to smut, yet I’ve only ever seen one guide on how to avoid it. I myself have never smutted and while some people don’t think of it as a serious thing, I’d be quite nervous if I ever had to. I’ve compiled a couple of tips for those who find themselves in a similar situation, or just want the sexual tension of smut without actually smutting.
- Fade to Black Scenes: We’ve all seen them in the PG-13 movies. The idea is, if your character is most definitely going to have sex, you don’t have to smut but they can still have all the fun. It can be hard to get know when exactly you need to fade to black, usually a good time is if you figure you’d need to start using a read more. Always make sure your RP partner has agreed previously, however, because otherwise you’re going to leave them incredibly confused.
- Word on the Street: There is nothing that says have to roleplay the sexual tension leading up to the act. You can simply agree with your partner that your characters did in fact do the deed and have the characters tell their best friends so that word goes around to other members. Some questions might be asked but no one’s going to mind all that much just because they missed out on a smut session on the dash.
- Wake Me Up: Very much like a fade to black scene. This can follow the scene that you faded to black with or you can just go straight from the flirtatious smiles to here. Whether your character finds his or herself awake in a stranger or best friend’s bed, they’re bound to have plenty of thoughts and emotions. You can self-para this or have the other character wake up and you’re bound to have the sexual tension of smutting without actually having smutted.
- Hypersensitivity: You could possibly want to avoid smut at all costs and no one’s going to judge you for that. With hypersensitivity, you don’t even need to bother with fadeout scenes to get the tension. Characters don’t always have to be immediately attracted to each other to have chemistry - but it’s important they’re not indifferent. The awareness of each other must be obvious to read. Tiny little things other characters might not notice but you’re character would. Say A has the tiniest eye twitch during arguments and B notices it and makes fun of it or whatever. While it might not seem like much, B is noticing the smallest detail about A. A spark is ignited. More little things like that and that’s what starts the sexual tension, even if only a little bit.
I hope this helped somewhat and remember you should never feel pressurized into smutting, no matter what the case.
Well, the first thing to remember is that while having relationships and friends when we RP is fun, it isn’t exactly the whole point. So often I see people disregard their bios, or act super nice to someone IC when their character wouldn’t, just because they want them to have more friends and that drives me insane. It’s really. honestly disappointing. Because I myself love seeing someone play a great bitchy character.
But now for actual tips:
Imagine that I’m telling you about my day and I say, “I woke up. I ate breakfast. I left for work.”
Is that a story? After all, it has a protagonist who makes choices that lead to a natural progression of events, it contains three acts and it has a beginning, a middle and an end—and that’s what makes something a story, right?
MYTHOLOGY MEME | (1/9) GREEK GODS OR GODDESSES
PERSEPHONE was the goddess queen of the underworld, wife of the god Hades. She was also the goddess of spring growth, who was worshiped alongside her mother Demeter. Persephone was titled Kore (the Maiden) as the goddess of spring’s bounty. Once upon a time when she was playing in a flowery meadow with her Nymph companions, Kore was seized by Hades and carried off to the underworld as his bride. Her mother Demeter despaired at her disappearance and searched for her the throughout the world accompanied by the goddess Hekate bearing torches. When she learned that Zeus had conspired in her daughter’s abduction she was furious, and refused to let the earth fruit until Persephone was returned. Zeus consented, but because the girl had tasted of the food of Hades—a handful of pomegranate seeds—she was forced to forever spend a part of the year with her husband in the underworld. Her annual return to the earth in spring was marked by the flowering of the meadows and the sudden growth of the new grain. Her return to the underworld in winter, conversely, saw the dying down of plants and the halting of growth. (x)
Bran does research on… Comedy Writing
So you want to write comedy? Understandable, sometimes when your novel, fanfiction or even roleplay para is so completely angsty and dramatic, you need something to lighten it up. A good few famous authors are known for adding some humour to make their book much easier to read or just to get their readers laugh till their sides split and hopefully, a couple of these articles will be helpful so you can do the same.
- How to Write a Comedy Scene
- Writing Sketches
- The 4 Rules of Comedy Writing For Screenwriters
- FAQ - Stephen Merchant
- 5 Secrets for Improving Your Comedy Writing
- Humor & Comedy Writing
- How to Break Into Comedy Writing
- How to Write Comedy - Jerry Writes 15 Jokes in 30 Minutes (youtube video)
- A Comprehensive Guide to the Best Humor Books Written
- Become a Comic in Your Genre Fiction Novel
- Face-First. Or, Why I Write Slapstick Physical Comedy
- Writing Romantic Comedy
- Creating Humorous Comedy
- Writing a Novel - Tips on Using Humor
- The Secret of Writing Funny
- How to Write a Short, Funny Story: 11 Steps
- Wendy Meddour’s Top Tips for Writing Funny Fiction
- Four Commandments to Writing Funny
- How to Mix Humor into your Writing
VAMPIRES AND WEREWOLVES HAVE BEEN FIGHTING SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TIME. PEOPLE HAVE DIED, ALLIANCES HAVE BEEN MADE. NOW THEIR BATTLE MOVES TO NEWPORT BEACH, CALIFORNIA.
Accepting auditions on Sunday, June 16th
Opening date; TBA
Also looking for co-admins
Hermione Granger, Pureblood witch, is sorted into Slytherin and befriends Draco Malfoy.